Pattern: Simplicity 8608 (View B)
- Polyester fabric
- Black Gutermann thread
- 1/4″ elastic
- Forward rotating shoulder adjustment (moved the shoulder seam 1/2″ forward)
- High waist adjustment (took 2″ off the two bodice pieces)
- Narrow shoulder adjustment (took 1/2″ off back bodice and eyeballed the front bodice)
- Sloping shoulder adjustment by 1/2″
- Reduced the very wide sleeves by 2″
What I Found Helpful:
- I’d just recommend trying it on at every stage. The pattern adds quite a lot of ease, so the next time I make this, I will reduce the waist and hip a little bit.
- Make sure to check the length of the skirt before finishing the hem of the front overlay. Otherwise you’ll need to redo the hem finish on the front overlay and unstitch a part of the waist seam
- Watch a Youtube video on making a thread belt loop (since the instructions don’t mention this, which I found to be quite odd)
- Try a rolled hem foot if your fabric is lightweight!
Mini Sewing Victory:
- First wrap dress!
- Made a thread belt loop
I sewed this dress up while listening to some Sufjan Stevens, particularly this beautiful song he performed at the Oscars Sufjan Stevens – Mystery of Love. Such a lovely song. One of the other things I love besides sewing is listening to music. I’ll just drop whatever it is for a coupe of hours to listen to music and do nothing else. Thankfully, sewing is something that pairs wonderfully with music… so I can just be in my little happy place with the two things I love–music + sewing. 🙂