Floral Jumpsuit

I had this floral fabric sitting around forever, so I decided not to buy more fabric and instead–use what I have!  Annnd, I decided to make a fun jumpsuit!

Pattern: New Look 6373 View A/B (B for the straps, A for everything else)

Supplies:

  • Floral polyester fabric

Modifications:

  • General: I cut out a size 8 bust and a size 12 waist/hip.  I am what you call pear-shaped. 🙂
  • Bust/Shoulders: The smallest bust size is 31.5 inches, which is 2 inches too big for me.  It really is a bummer when I need to do a small bust adjustment because the smallest size doesn’t fit me.  However, since this isn’t a fully fitted garment, I decided to play with things a bit…  since I normally have to adjust the shoulders (as I have narrow shoulders), I took off 1/2″ off the center and back seams.  I have no idea if this will work, but I’m willing to give it a try, especially on this leftover fabric.  This means I had to take 1/2″ off the front/back bodice pieces, flounce pieces and facing pieces.
  • Bodice length: As per usual, I took off 2″ off the length of the bodice.  Thankfully the pattern indicated where to adjust the length.  Since the pattern called for a 16.25 inch back and my measurement sits at around 14 inches, I just took off 2 inches.
  • Pant length: I’m not confident about my leg measurements, so I’ve decided to simply cut out the pattern without modifications and then later hem to the appropriate length.

Difficulties:

  • Elastic casing: For some reason, it was really hard for me to fold over this particular fabric for the elastic casing.  I tried it out three times but every single time, either my stitches looked really uneven or I didn’t fold it at a nice 1/4″.  Instead of folding the pant seam under 1/4″ and then sewing at 3/8″, I decided to serge the end of the bodice seam and then simply fold it over and sew at 3/8″.  That was way easier for me, and it looks a lot better inside.  I’ve done the other method before on a rayon, and it seemed to work out better.  This fabric is a little bit delicate and frays quite a lot.
  • Finishing the facing and bodice seam: I had a little bit of trouble finishing the seams, but it wasn’t too bad.  I learned how to maneuver my serger over the v-neck, but I’m sure there is a much tidier way to do that.
  • Lining up the spaghetti straps: I’m still not totally happy with the placement as they aren’t really in the very center; however, I believe I followed the pattern images very carefully…  maybe I’ll just budge them a little bit before I make this for next time.

Fit:

I think the fit is pretty good in the bust, and the elastic casing rests right on my waistline! Yay!  My measurements worked out.  However, I feel the hips are just a little too big for me, so I might revisit that later and take them in a little.  While I’m at it, I might as well make pockets.  It could be intentional ease that the pattern maker included.  But as far as I’m concerned, I’m more or less done with this pattern!

What I found helpful:

  •  I find that the best way to pull the drawstring inside out is to use a safety pin on one end of the drawstring and simply channel it through the fabric.

Mini Sewing Victory:

  • Learned thin straps!
  • Made more buttonholes! (Quite happy with the symmetrical placement)
  • Learned how to sew a button with my sewing machine!
  • Made a drawstring!
  • Minor adjustment to the bodice that seamed to work out

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *